LAND LEGACY BENEFITS
There are many potential benefits to making a gift of land to WSU:
- Change the lives of the next generation of farm families and agribusiness leaders by supporting agricultural and natural resource scholarship, research, extension, and teaching at WSU.
- Keep your land in production and resolve family succession planning.
- Establish a family legacy.
- Through a retained life estate, continue to generate income.
- Avoid capital gains tax and reduce estate taxes while benefiting from charitable deductions.
- You may qualify for federal land gift deductions.
- Honor relationships with current tenants.
We will work closely with you to meet your business, conservation, and philanthropic goals. Gifts of land to WSU can support programs in several ways:
- Productive land can be preserved and managed to grow crops, graze livestock, harvest timber, etc.—with the income providing funding to an area of your greatest interest within WSU.
- Property located in proximity to one of WSU’s many research and extension centers, campuses, or extension sites could be used as an outdoor classroom for students or a living laboratory for researchers, extension faculty, and local communities.
- If you choose to allow WSU to sell the land, the proceeds may be used to benefit students, faculty, and programs or to fund a Charitable Remainder Trust and provide you a lifetime income.